This Page

has been moved to new address

Day 4 of 12 Days of Christmas Fun: Cranberry-Pecan Chicken Salad

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Food, Folks, and Fun: Day 4 of 12 Days of Christmas Fun: Cranberry-Pecan Chicken Salad

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day 4 of 12 Days of Christmas Fun: Cranberry-Pecan Chicken Salad

♪♫ On the 4th day of Christmas Food, Folks, and Fun gave to me…♪♫

Cranberry-Pecan Chicken Salad





I am a part of a fabulous group of ladies called “The Craft Addicts”. We recently put on a crafting event and I made some of the food for it. Among the things I made was this chicken salad recipe and it was a hit! A lot of people gave me compliments, and I think it’s the perfect recipe for a holiday luncheon. I served it on sliced croissants from Costco.



Cranberry-Pecan Chicken Salad

Ingredients:

4 -12.5 oz can of chicken, drained (I get mine from Costco)
2 t olive oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

¼ C Miracle Whip
¼ C Non-Fat, Plain Greek Yogurt (I like the FAGE brand from Costco)
½ C cream or whole milk
2 t poppy seeds

1 C celery, chopped

1 T butter
½ C chopped pecans
1 C dried Cranberries


Directions:

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Drain the chicken and cook in skillet until all the pink is gone (you may have to do this in batches depending on how big your skillet is).  Place cooked chicken in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until cool, about 1 ½-2 hours.

In a small bowl, mix Miracle Whip, Greek yogurt, cream/milk, and poppy seeds until combined. Pour the mixture over the chicken and season to taste with salt and pepper again. Add in the chopped celery and mix until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

In a small pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the nuts and stir them often until they are toasted, about 4 minutes (they should be a little more than lightly browned and you’ll begin to smell them).

Add the toasted nuts and dried Cranberries just before serving, and mix until combined. Serve with split croissants.

Makes about 8-10 servings.


Source: A Food, Folks, and Fun original!  



I’m linking this post up at:
Metamorphosis Monday, Menu Plan Monday , Skip to My Lou, Tip Me Tuesday, Today’s Creative Blog

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

At December 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM , Anonymous Charlotte Moore said...

Curious as to why you would cook the chicken. It is already cooked. I make it all the time and never have cooked it.

 
At May 18, 2012 at 4:16 AM , Blogger Cathie Lang said...

yes I wondered the same - then I thought maybe you were using another kind of chicken. Recipe looks good tho!

 
At May 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you should have to cook canned chicken. Even though it looks a little pink, it is fully cooked, I believe. I also use the Costco canned chicken, and have never cooked it.

 
At May 22, 2012 at 8:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cooking the chicken enhances the flavors.

 
At May 24, 2012 at 10:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

To cook already cooked chicken just dries it out.

 
At May 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I make almost the same recipe, but I use rotisserie chicken, and a mixture of light mayo and a couple of tablespoons of poppyseed dressing. Very easy and never any leftovers.

 
At May 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys are talking about the chicken because I was wondering the same thing (why cook it). I guess choose chicken that is best for you....it looks good....I'll be making this!! Thanks for the recipe

 
At May 31, 2012 at 7:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you substitute something for the miracle whip?? Not a fan of it lol

 
At June 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd use real mayo instead of Miracle Whip :-)

 
At June 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made a chicken salad similiar to this one, except i use chop walnuts!

 
At July 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would use a rotersie chicken also.

 
At July 16, 2012 at 11:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am wondering what could be used in place of the yogurt? (I am allergic)

 
At July 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Jillian@FoodFolksandFun said...

You could use mayo or miracle whip in place of the yogurt. Hope this helps! :)

 
At July 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM , Blogger Jillian@FoodFolksandFun said...

I chose to cook the chicken because I feel it gives it less of a "canned flavor". I have made this recipe using rotisserie chicken and it was super yummy!

 
At July 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't have to cook the chicken. You can substitute the miracle whip for whipped cream cheese. Add the cranberries and nuts and refrigerate. If you have a party, use three cans of Costco white chicken and two containers of whipped cream cheese. When you are ready to serve it, make like a mound in the middle of a tray and open a can of "Ancel" mango marmalade and put some over the chicken. It is a delicious dip. Use your favorite crackers or pita chips. Enjoy!!

 
At August 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM , Blogger African Queen said...

I always cook the canned chicken too and season it. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home