This Page

has been moved to new address

Berry Crisp

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Food, Folks, and Fun: Berry Crisp

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Berry Crisp

Back during my husband’s law school days in Washington, D.C., we lived in a part of Arlington, Virginia called Crystal City. We were within walking distance to 3 metros, the Mt. Vernon walking/biking/running trail that ran right along the Potomac River, about 50+ restaurants, a fantastic mall, grocery store, AND Costco (right after we moved a Nordstrom Rack opened up literally right across the street from our complex) and not to mention we were right across the river from DC! We absolutely LOVED living there and loved all the people we met through church, work, and school and we’d totally move back to the DC area in a heartbeat!

We lived in a high-rise apartment building that a lot of our friends from church also lived in which made it super convenient for social gatherings. We’d get together weekly with one group of friends to watch the epic TV show, Lost. As the weeks went on, our gatherings progressed into full-fledged parties with food, laughter, and fellowship. Our friends, the Tate’s, would host our Lost parties and Rebecca would consistently have the best treats for us to nosh on during commercial breaks, and this recipe is no exception! It is so easy to whip up and yet so delicious. I love how these frozen berries taste so fresh when baked up, and the topping is PER-FECT! There’s a lot of it and so tasty…I could seriously eat the topping by itself!

Cook’s Note: The frozen berry mix (blueberries, raspberries, and marionberries) from Costco works great for this recipe. Depending on how berry-rific you want the crisp to be, add between 6 to 8 cups of berries. I’ve made this crisp many times and I personally go for more berries, but it’s all up to your personal taste.

Perfect dessert for summer!


This is the berry blend I use from Costo.


Berry Crisp

Ingredients:

6 - 8 C frozen berry mix (I used the frozen berry mix from Costco)
1 T corn starch

2 C rolled oats (not the quick cooking)
1 C flour
1 C brown sugar
1 C butter, softened


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Place the frozen berries in a 9 x 13 Pyrex pan. Toss the berries with the corn starch to lightly coat and set aside.

In a medium bowl, make the topping by mixing together the oats, flour, brown sugar, and softened butter. I find my hands to be the best mixing tool for this step, but a wooden spoon will also work...it’ll just take longer.

Slightly crumble the topping over the berries and bake for 30-40 minutes, rotating the pan half-way through cooking. The berry crumble is done when then topping is golden and the berry mixture nice and bubbly.

Cool 5-10 minutes before serving. This crisp is especially delicious served with a little bit of fresh whipped cream or ice cream.

Makes 6-8 healthy-sized servings.

Source: My friend, Rebecca Tate



Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At June 15, 2011 at 3:36 PM , Blogger Elle Belles Bows said...

Looks delicious!! Love anything that I can use from my weekly Costco visit too:-)

Kerri

 
At June 16, 2011 at 2:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks divine! I could probably eat the whole thing myself. I am a total sucker for anything "crisp"y and cinnamon!
Yum, yum!
Jenni
kissedbyafrog.blogspot.com

 
At June 16, 2011 at 7:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks DELICIOUS!! Best part is that I have all the ingredients here :) I love the frozen berries from Costco. I keep them on hand to toss in my blender with yogurt, milk, ground flaxseed & ice for a yummy shake! Thanks for the recipe!

 
At June 16, 2011 at 9:20 PM , Blogger Amy said...

Yum...Your berry crisp sounds super easy to make and truly delicious. Thanks for sharing.

I'm hosting a cookbook (On A Stick) giveaway on my blog. Please stop by to enter if you haven't done so. Have a wonderful day.

Amy
http://utry.it

 
At June 17, 2011 at 10:46 AM , Blogger Miz Helen said...

Hi Jillian,
Yum Yum Yum, your Berry Crisp looks awesome. I just love this recipe for summer with all the fresh berries. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!
Miz Helen

 
At June 18, 2011 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

We just picked blueberries, looks like a great recipe!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home