This Page

has been moved to new address

Big Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Food, Folks, and Fun: Big Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Big Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

When I think of comfort food in the form of a cookie, I think of oatmeal cookies. These were nice and chewy with a nice crisp on the outside. One thing I loved about this recipe is how it bypassed the strong flavor of cinnamon and made the oatmeal the star of the show…just how it should be!







Big Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Cook’s Note: If you prefer a less sweet cookie, you can reduce the white sugar by one-quarter cup, but you will lose some crispness. Do not overbake these cookies. The edges should be brown but the rest of the cookie should still be very light in color. Parchment makes for easy cookie removal and cleanup, but it’s not a necessity. If you don’t use parchment, let the cookies cool directly on the baking sheet for two minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 C unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 C raisins (optional)
1/2 t table salt
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t fresh ground nutmeg
2 sticks unsalted butter (1/2 pound), softened but still firm
1 C light brown sugar
1 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
3 C rolled oats


Directions:

Adjust oven racks to low and middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl of electric mixer or by hand, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time.

Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg together, then stir them into butter-sugar mixture with wooden spoon or large rubber spatula. Stir in oats and optional raisins.

Form dough into sixteen to twenty 2-inch balls, placing each dough round onto one of two parchment paper–covered, large cookie sheets. Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes. (Halfway during baking, turn cookie sheets from front to back and also switch them from top to bottom.) Slide cookies on parchment onto cooling rack. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.

Makes 16-20 large cookies.


Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At May 19, 2011 at 8:38 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

Another yummy America's Test Kitchen recipe! I love big fat cookies and I love oatmeal, but I would have to use chocolate chips instead of raisins. By the way, I love your new blog look!

 
At May 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Jillian@FoodFolksandFun said...

Thanks, Jenn! =)

 
At May 20, 2011 at 12:28 PM , Blogger keatseatsblog said...

I'm your newest follower! Love the blog! And love the look of these cookies! Although, I'm with Jenn-- can't do raisins :) I'd love for you to link these up to my Sweet Treats party this weekend! Hope to see you there!
Ashton
www.somethingswanky.com
PS- (can you PS a post??) Those cookie dough brownies on your side bar look DIVINE. Bring those to the party too!!! :)

 
At May 20, 2011 at 10:11 PM , Blogger Inspired by you said...

Okay, that looks devine. Perhaps I shouldn't have clicked on it at 10 at night. Now I'm hungry!

 
At May 21, 2011 at 6:24 PM , Blogger emily said...

yumm... i love chewy cookies! these look delish! stopped over from show & tell saturday :-)

 
At May 22, 2011 at 1:13 PM , Blogger Lanell said...

These look good. One of my favorite cookies to eat warm right out of the oven. I like your new blog page. Very fun and friendly. Thanks for sharing such great recipes. I'm a fan of your blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home