This Page

has been moved to new address

Skillet Green Beans with Spiced Walnuts

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Food, Folks, and Fun: Skillet Green Beans with Spiced Walnuts

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Skillet Green Beans with Spiced Walnuts

I love this recipe. This was made for dinner the other night and I think it out-shinned the main course…which now that I think about it, I’m not exactly sure what the main course was!

There’s just the right amount of heat and sugar in this recipe, and the toasted walnuts add a nice, deep flavor. Yummy, delicious, and healthy!


Skillet Green Beans with Spiced Walnuts


Ingredients:

¼ C walnuts, chopped coarse
1 T unsalted butter
1 t brown sugar
¼ t ground ginger
Pinch cayenne pepper
Salt & pepper
2 t olive oil
1 pound green beans, trimmed
¼ C water


Directions:

Toast the walnuts in a 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the butter and cook, stirring constantly, until the butter is browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in the sugar, ginger, cayenne, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer the walnut mixture to a bowl and set aside. Wipe out the skillet with paper towels.

Heat the oil in the skillet over medium heat until just smoking. Add the green beans and 1/8 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until spotty brown, 4-6 minutes.

Add the water, cover, and cook until the green beans are bright green but still crisp, 2-3 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat to high, and continue to cook until the water evaporates and the beans are crisp-tender and lightly browned, 3-5 minutes longer.

Off the heat, stir in the reserved walnut mixture. Season with salt and black pepper to taste, and serve.


Source: America's Test Kitchen Light & Healthy 2011: The Year's Best Recipes Lightened Up

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At February 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

This look delicious! I have a few recipes on my blog too! Come check them out.

dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

 
At March 26, 2011 at 2:49 AM , Blogger Natasha in Oz said...

YUM! wow , this looks delicious and so healthy too. We love green beans at our place so I will definitely be trying this soon! Thanks!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

 
At May 1, 2011 at 11:15 AM , Blogger Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

I do a blog hop on sundays called savory sunday and i'd love it if you came over and shared one of your great recipes!!

 
At May 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

These look absolutly amazing!
I will have to try this!
Jennifer
http://craftyhair.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home