This Page

has been moved to new address

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Food, Folks, and Fun: No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

Thursday, February 24, 2011

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars


These bars bring back memories of when my hubby and I lived in Seoul, South Korea. We moved to Seoul 3 weeks after getting married and spent the first year of our marriage teaching English there. We lived in a tiny 300 square foot apartment where the bathroom was the size of a telephone booth and the sink doubled as our shower. Who doesn’t love showering next to their toilet, right? Then there was our kitchen, it comprised of a small fridge, sink, and 2 gas burners. The bathroom took some getting used to, but kind of grew on me after a while. But the kitchen…I loathed that kitchen. Cooking and baking are ways I like to exercise my artistic abilities and in Seoul I seriously struggled on this front! The less than adequate kitchen combined with foreign and unidentified ingredients at the market made for a culinary challenge. Thank goodness for Costco though! We went there monthly and stocked up on as many comforts from home as we could carry on the subway. What a spectacle we must have made: a tall (by Asian standards) blonde, and her really tall (6 foot, 3 inch) bi-racial husband schlepping bulk American products like butter, peanut butter, blocks of cheese, cereal, chocolate chips, etc onto a crowded Seoul subway…awesome.

Our Telephone Booth-sized Bathroom


Kitchen

The rest of our immense 300 sq. ft. apartment.
 With my limited American products and a barely functioning kitchen, I needed to come up with a dish to bring to potlucks at church. And so an old recipe my roommates and I used to make in college was reborn. These bars were always a hit and taste sooooo good! What’s not to love about peanut butter and chocolate?

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars


Ingredients:

2 C peanut butter, divided
¾ C butter, softened
2 C powdered sugar, divided
3 C graham cracker crumbs
1 ½ C semi-sweet chocolate chips


Directions:

Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.

Beat 1 ¼ cups peanut butter and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in 1 cup powdered sugar. With hands or wooden spoon, work in remaining powdered sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Press evenly into prepared pan. Smooth top with spatula.

Melt remaining peanut butter and remaining morsels in medium, heavy-duty saucepan over lowest possible heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. Spread over graham cracker crust in pan. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until chocolate is firm; cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.


Source: Adapted from Nestle Classic Recipes

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

At February 24, 2011 at 9:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum yum!

 
At February 24, 2011 at 4:06 PM , Blogger cupcakegirl said...

They look tasty the flat looks cute and made me smile reading about your stocking up trips to costco

 
At February 24, 2011 at 5:10 PM , Anonymous Bella said...

This was such a great post! I loved reading about your tiny apartment in Seoul! And I loved the pictures! :) I live in Europe and trust me when I tell you that I too have a phone booth bathroom. There are days when I don't know how I'm able to avoid hitting my head on the sink when I use the toilet!

 
At February 24, 2011 at 11:59 PM , Blogger Jillian@FoodFolksandFun said...

@cupcakegirl: We were seriously a site to bee seen on the subway after our shopping trips. =)

 
At February 25, 2011 at 12:00 AM , Blogger Jillian@FoodFolksandFun said...

Bella, I've been there and done that!

 
At February 25, 2011 at 1:50 PM , Blogger Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

I make a very similar recipe. They are to die for aren't they?

I'd love to have you share this recipe with Sweet Tooth Friday! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/24/cream-cheese-brownies/

 
At February 25, 2011 at 9:49 PM , Blogger annies home said...

so many of my favorite items in one delicious recipe has to be great

 
At February 26, 2011 at 4:58 PM , Blogger Mrs Bishop said...

sounds delish!

 
At February 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM , Blogger carla said...

These look wonderful. Although I was interested in the photo and name on the blog party, I was a bit skeptical about whether the recipe would sound good.

It does!

Summertime here in Texas is awfully hot and I'm always on the lookout for a good dessert that I don't have to fire up the over for.

(And your apartment looks cozy.)

 
At March 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM , Blogger Our Italian Kitchen said...

Those peanut butter bars look yummy! And I love the pictures of your first apartment! What great stories you'll have from there to tell your kids!

 
At March 2, 2011 at 7:37 PM , Blogger Alana in Canada said...

Love the peanut butter bars--but love the pics and the story of Seoul even more.

 
At March 4, 2011 at 12:54 PM , Blogger Jillian@FoodFolksandFun said...

Carla, I'm glad you like the recipe! I hope you try it!

-Jillian @ Food, Folks, and Fun

 
At March 4, 2011 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Jillian@FoodFolksandFun said...

@ I like to Cook 222: Thanks for the comment. My hubby and I have fond memories of Seoul and that apartment.

 
At March 16, 2011 at 11:50 AM , Blogger Courtney @ {not so homemade} said...

I make this recently and LOVED IT!!!! I took pictures and featured it on my blog today, sending everyone to you for the AMAZING recipe :)

3/16 What's Cooking Wednesday

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home