This Page

has been moved to new address

Peach Salsa

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Food, Folks, and Fun: Peach Salsa

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Peach Salsa


This was my very first canning endeavor and it was easier than I thought it would be. I do suggest though at least quadrupling the recipe when canning to make your efforts worth while.

Cook’s Note: If you don't have peaches, substitute any yellow-orange fruit, including mangoes, pineapples, or papaya.

Peeling Peaches Tip: Using a knife, score the bottoms of the peaches with an X pattern. Bring a pot of water to a roiling boil, add the peaches and parboil for 60 – 90 seconds. Plunge the peaches into an ice water bath and the skins should peel right off. Use the X you made on the bottom of the peaches to peel them.



Peach Salsa


Ingredients:

2 ripe but firm peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped coarse

1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced thin

1 small red onion, diced

¼ C chopped fresh parsley leaves

1medium clove garlic, minced

¼ C pineapple juice

6 T lime juice

1 medium jalapeño chile or other medium hot pepper, minced

Salt and ground black pepper to taste


Directions:

Mix all ingredients, including salt and pepper to taste, in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate to blend flavors, at least 1 hour or up to 4 days.

For Canning:

If you plan on preserving the salsa, skip the refrigerator and immediately place into hot, sterile pint jars with 1/2 inch head space. Don’t forget to gently shake the jar to remove air bubbles. Wipe the rims clean, center the lid, and tighten the band finger tight before placing the jar into the boiling water. The pints should be processed with at least one inch of water above the lids.

Process in a water bath canner for:

20 minutes < 1000 feet above sea level
25 minutes 1001 – 5999
30 minutes for another over 6000 ft

Makes about 3 cups


Source: Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated, July 1996 & Home Ec 101




I’m linking this post up at:

Metamorphosis Monday

Menu Plan Monday

Skip to My Lou

Tip Me Tuesday

Today’s Creative Blog

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At October 15, 2011 at 8:58 PM , Blogger Elaine said...

I think I need to try your receipe.. I like peach and pineapple salsa.

 
At October 16, 2011 at 1:12 AM , Blogger Jillian@FoodFolksandFun said...

Elaine: I hope you like it, it's a great recipe!

 
At October 17, 2011 at 6:29 AM , Blogger Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Fantastic post! What a great recipe and gorgeous colours. Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

 
At October 17, 2011 at 1:04 PM , Blogger Kirsten @ Mushki Loves said...

Oh yum! This sounds so good. I am pinning it for later! I canned for the first time last year, and I agree, double,triple or quadruple the batch to make it worth while!

Have a great day!
Kirsten

 
At October 18, 2011 at 10:26 PM , Blogger Ellen said...

This looks amazing! I have bookmarked it to try as soon as possible. Now, I need to learn how to can!

Thanks for visiting me at A SEason for All Things. I'm your newest follower and look forward to more great recipes and info.

 
At October 18, 2011 at 10:30 PM , Blogger Boden said...

Oh wow, your peach salsa has the prettiest colors! Here's a quick question for you though, what would you serve it with? It sound delicious, but I am not great at pairing sweet with savory/salty flavors...I get all confused! Jen @ www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

 
At October 21, 2011 at 4:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a new follower. Please come check out my blog
at - Coupon Housewife
http://www.couponhousewife.com

Thanks - have a fantastic day!

 
At October 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Kim McCallie said...

I love all of the ingredients in your salsa. And, the color is amazing. I'll bet it's delicious. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

 
At October 22, 2011 at 5:12 AM , Anonymous Time2EatYall said...

Beatuiful! This looks so refreshing! Can't beat home made salsa.

 
At October 23, 2011 at 12:55 AM , Anonymous Chris said...

Hi Jillian, that you so much for the salsa recipe. It looks really good and I can almost taste it, LOL I found and am now following you through My Romantic Home and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home