This Page

has been moved to new address

Mini Baked Apple Cider Donuts

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Food, Folks, and Fun: Mini Baked Apple Cider Donuts

Monday, November 15, 2010

Mini Baked Apple Cider Donuts

Two things I associate with fall are apple cider and apple cider donuts from Rogers Orchards which was located literally right up the road from my parent’s house in Connecticut. We’d often get a bag whenever we’d go to the orchard to get apples while growing up. When Curtis and I lived in the D.C. area we’d make the 6 hour drive back home to Connecticut often. On our way back to D.C. Curtis would always get a bag of apple cider donuts for the drive back because he loved them so much. So, on Saturday my niece Dayna and I decided to make donuts that were inspired by the ones we’d get at Rogers. They came out pretty darn good if I do say so myself!


Dayna dipping the donuts into the cinnamon sugar mixture.



Mini Baked Apple Cider Donuts

Ingredients:

2 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 t ground cinnamon
1 large egg
2/3 C packed light brown sugar
1/2 C unsweetened apple sauce
1/3 C agave nectar (or maple syrup)
1/3 C spiced apple cider
1/3 C nonfat plain yogurt
3 T vegetable oil


Topping:

1/4 C (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1/3 C sugar
1 t ground cinnamon


Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray mini donut pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, applesauce, agave nectar, cider, yogurt, and oil. Add in dry ingredients and stir until combined. Fill each mini donut halfway.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.  Let donuts cool slightly for a few minutes.  Use a plastic knife; gently pry around edges of the donut until donuts pop out. Let donuts cool completely. Then melt 1/4 cup butter in a small glass bowl. In another small bowl, combine 2/3 cup white sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon.  Dip top of donuts in melted butter and then dip in the sugar mixture. Makes 4 dozen mini donuts.

Source: Adapted from The City Sisters

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At November 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM , Blogger Lauren said...

I want these! So cute! It seems like you have a lot of cool specialty cooking equipment to make some this and some of the other items on your blog, though. How do you know in advance that you'll like make mini-donuts enough that it's worth investing in and storing the pan? That's what always holds me up...

 
At November 25, 2010 at 12:58 PM , Blogger Jillian@FoodFolksandFun said...

Lauren, I bought this pan on a whim. Curtis was ordering some books on Amazon and needed $5 worth of purchases to get free shipping (or pay $8 in shipping if his order didn’t qualify for free shipping) and this pan was $7, so we took a gamble and it totally paid off! Usually if I want a special piece of equipment I google all the recipes I can make with it and decide if it's worth it from there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home